If you are a parent who
- is struggling with parenting
- is worried about how your child behaves at home, at school or in the community
- is concerned that your child is being bullied or socially excluded
- feels your child is unusually sad, anxious, angry or unable to manage his/her feelings
- is worried about your child’s mental health
- wants help with tension and conflict within the family
- needs help getting or managing the support your family needs to parent well
our team of professional counsellors can help. The Intake Worker will arrange an initial meeting with a member of the team within a week. The counsellor will gain a more complete understanding of the situation and give you some suggestions to help you manage in the short run. For some families, a single meeting is enough to get things back on track. Other services from Point in Time or elsewhere may be suggested. If on-going counselling is required, you will be prioritized on a wait list.
Because parents are the most important agents of change in a child’s life, it is very important that they be involved in the counselling process, especially with younger children. If children refuse counselling, parents may still benefit from meetings with a counsellor.
Point in Time has access to a consulting psychiatrist and psychologist if we think it is necessary to expand our understanding of the situation.