Join us for a Twitter Chat!
We are hearing from a lot of parents who are experiencing significant stress about back-to-school plans and wanted to create an opportunity for parents to connect with one another and share helpful information and resources.
The start of the school year is hard for most children and youth in a normal year, and especially for children with mental health needs. This year, kids are facing extraordinary circumstances relating to the pandemic and infection control measures.
Let us come together and support parents, caregivers, advocates and each other.
Join us for a Twitter Chat on August 18, 2020 at 8 PM on back-to-school and children and youth mental health.
The purpose of this chat is to:
- Create an opportunity for parents of children with mental health issues to come together and share their experiences, as well as share resources, tips, etc.
- Share credible resources and information to support parents help their children
- Demonstrate the important role of child and youth mental health centres in supporting kids and families in the current crisis
Please share the invitation graphic above in your social media networks and with your boards, staff and family/youth groups.
Here are the questions for the chat.
- Let’s check in. How are you doing? When you think back to this summer, what will you remember as the biggest challenges and the greatest joys?
- Let’s talk about the start of the school year. How will the start of the school year be different for your family this year?
- As a parent/caregiver, are you experiencing stress or are you worried about back-to-school plans? If you are, what’s helping you to get through it?
- As a family of a child with mental health issues, are there concerns or issues that you feel are unique to your family? What additional supports are you looking for or have you accessed?
- As a family of a child with mental health issues, how have you worked with your school/educators in the past for additional support? How will you connect with your school about this, this year?
- What are you doing to mentally prepare your kids for back-to-school?
- What are some things that would support your family’s mental wellness when kids head to school in the fall?
Here are tips for participating:
- Prepare ahead of time! We have given you the questions so that you can prepare responses ahead of time. Please add links to your site when necessary.
- Always use the hashtag #kidscantwait to ensure your messages appear in the thread.
- As soon as you see the question posted from @kidsmentalhlth, jump right in with your responses. When answering, refer to the question number, ie:
- Q1) What supports in your community have helped you and your family
- A1) XYZ answer with #kidscantwait
- Also, look for opportunities to engage with others participating. A simple follow back, an RT, or a like will go a long way. · Be sure to share the invitation and let others in your community know about the chat. All are welcome!